FIELDS OF EXPERTISE
(CATAS) is the only national research institution specially engaged in tropical agricultural research, achievements transformation and talents cultivation. CATAS’ scientific research activities embrace six major fields: tropical cash crops, off-season seed industry, tropical food crops, tropical melon and vegetables in winter, tropical feed crops and animal husbandry, and tropical marine life.
1. Tropical cash crops: carrying researches on the whole industry chain of tropical cash crops, including breeding , cultivation, plant protection, products processing of crops like rubber tree, cassava, banana, coconut, oil palm, betelnut, sugarcane, mango, pineapple, macadamia nut, cashew, coffee, cocoa, vanilla and pepper.
2. Off-season seed industry: engaging in biological safety and security of off-season plant breeding and multiplication research area, and providing public services of plant quarantine, monitoring of transgenic plants, pest control, early warning of alien invasive species, and seeds quality inspection.
3. Tropical food crops: carrying work on germplasm resources preservation, evaluation, and development of tropical food crops like paddy rice, tropical maize, sweet potato, evaluating high-yield and cold resistance germplasm resources, and carrying researches on post-harvest technology development and nutritional processing characteristics of crops.
4. Tropical melon and vegetables in winter: carrying researches on high-efficient cultivation of tropical vegetables such as balsam pear, chili, watermelon, okra, cowpea bean, tomato, eggplant, winged bean, cucumber, moringa, heat-resistant leafy vegetables.
5. Tropical feed crops and animal husbandry: carrying work on collection, protection and innovative utilization of forage resources and characteristic livestock and poultry resources in the tropical and subtropical areas, breeding of new varieties, high-yield cultivation, processing and utilization of feed crops, the new technology of high-efficiency breeding of tropical livestock and poultry, and the integrated healthy breeding technology integrating nutrition with forage planting, breeding and processing.
6. Tropical marine life: carrying work on evaluation of microbial activity, separation, purification and structure identification of the active products of macroalgae and microalgae, as well as seedling breeding, cultivation and high-value utilization of macroalgae such as Sargassum, Eucheuma, and Caulerpa lentillifera
Type of cooperation
Technology transfer, Capacity building, Knowledge exchange.
Current Cooperating countries
The Republic of Congo, Micronesia, Mozambique, Tanzania, UAE, Maldives
Potential Cooperating Countries
Sri Lanka, Kiribati, Sierra Leone